Need some help with the perfect Holiday gift for the Actor in your life? At Acting Studio Chicago, we’ve come up with 12 Holiday Gift Ideas for Actors (regardless of whether they are aspiring, experienced, or pros.)
12. A Theatrical Makeup kit – It’s often expected that actors do their own stage makeup. A Makeup kit is an essential thing that all actors should have, and most importantly know how to use! These kits vary in size, price and skin tone (so make sure you do some consultations with your actor friends to make sure you choose the correct one.) Have fun practicing…and don’t forget the cold cream!
11. Materials and Resources to Learn an Accent – Being able to do an accent can expand an actor’s range and open up a new world of audition opportunities for them. Accenthelp.com, which was co-created by dialect expert and ASC instructor, Kate DeVore, offers materials and resources to help actors learn different accents from all across the globe. Not sure which accent to gift? Give the actor in your life the gift of choice with an AccentHelp gift card!
9. Books and Plays – Actors should always be reading. Whether its books about acting, the industry, or plays, an actor can never be too well-read. These plays from Theatriks make excellent stocking stuffers! For the ultimate gift that keeps on giving, you can’t go wrong with a subscription to the Dramatist Play Service Book Club.
8. A gift certificate to their favorite clothing store (for new audition clothes) – We all love new clothes, but actors actually need them for auditions (both on and off camera). Feeling confident with your look can make or break an audition.
7. Office Supplies – Actors use a lot of pencils, highlighters, binders, sticky notes, and index cards. Highlighters in cool colors or personalized pencils are always fun.
6. A Good Journal – We take copious notes in classes and during the process of rehearsing. Whether it’s character realizations or our blocking for the play, having a good Journal is always useful and necessary.
5.Gift Certificate/Cash Towards New Headshots- Actors often lament that they need new headshots so that they can stay up to date – especially after months of being indoors, stress eating, and experimenting with homemade haircuts. However, new photos are often very expensive! Having a fund for getting new pictures is a really great gift. Be sure to share our list of headshot photographers with the actor in your life as well!
4. A Quality Microphone – The world of voiceover is booming with opportunities right now. Help the actor in your life up their voiceover game – or prepare to take a voiceover class! – with a quality microphone. Our ASC VO Pros all love the Blue Yeti microphone.
3. A Neutral Backdrop – Self-tape auditions are the most common way for actors to book jobs nowadays. When an actor puts themself on tape, it’s important that the main focus is on them and their work, and not on the family photos hanging on the wall behind them. Help the actor in your life present themself professionally with a neutral fabric background (2 yards should do…and you can never go wrong with blue!) and a background stand. We also love this compact “pop-up” backdrop!
2. A Ring Light – Another must-have for all actors is a good source of light to show off their incredible work and their beautiful faces. Anyone who self-tapes, creates their own content, takes online classes, or enjoys taking selfies will love a ring light! We recommend purchasing one that’s at least 10 inches and that features adjustable color settings. If you’re looking to treat the actor in your life, this all-in-one kit has everything they could need!
1. An Acting Class or a Workshop – Good actors are always trying to strive to learn more and be the best at their craft. Luckily, Acting Studio Chicago has plenty to choose from! We also offer gift certificates so if you interested, just let us know